Fifes for Drum Corps, Flute Bands,
Click to skip to: Enfield Model Fife | French Fife | Fife & Drum Colonial style Military Fifes
New Improved M-1 Fifes
Top: Rosewood M-1 Fife, bottom: Blackwood M-1 fife
Improved M-1 Fife
This redesign of the M-1 fife has incorporated many improvements that we have already made to our
Professional fifes in D and C.
- Now tuned to the actual pitch standard now used by almost all the Fife and Drum Corps in the US: About 30 cents (3 tenths of a semitone) above A-440) so you can much better tune up harmoniously at jam sessions, Musters, etc.
- Extremely easy high "B", even 4th octave D (if you have the lips and lungs for it: Used in "Turkey in
the Straw" !)
- Internal cork inside the socket of the head joint rather than the yarn wrapping. This lessens the "dead air" space if you need to pull your fife apart to tune up with other players who have a lower pitch, which space can throw your scale out of tune.
- Modified spacing of the tone holes, to compensate for the new tuning"
Enfield Model Fife
Enfield Fife, 15-5/8" (400mm) overall (Click for Detail
Enfield Fife Sound Samples
Enfield Model Fife in Bb
The new Enfield Model is our flagship of drum corps fifes. With classic conical bore, the projection and intonation are superb. Undercut fingerholes and a precision-cut blowhole mean smooth, fast and clear playing, on the parade route or in concert. The stainless-steel tuning barrel has a long tuning slide; this slides into the head’s brass receiver for years of free action. A high-performance fife at a competitive price, designed by fifer Walt Sweet.
Enfield Fife, Properly Disassembled for Storage. Keeping the barrel with the
head relaxes the cork and ensures continued protection of the the tuning
Enfield Fife showing Blowhole Cutaway and Metal Tuning Barrel.
Note the brass receiver in the head (Click for detail)
The upper view shows holes that are drilled straight in as on a simple fife.
The lower view shows Enfield's toneholes, shaped with a profile cutter
for the best tone and response, as on the finest instruments. (click for
More Info about our Enfield Model
- Bore is conical for superb intonation with sweet-blending harmonies, as on classical instruments.
- Blowhole is precision-cut with CNC for maximum projection and speed of response.
- Bow Tie cutaway (in front of blowhole) for easier highs (standard).
- True Dynamic Range: Can be played gently or with hurricane strength, but always with clarity and sweetness.
- Free-acting, long Tuning Slide. Protects itself when the fife is disassembled. The Bimetal Design eliminates galling and stuck slides.
- The Tuning Barrel (slide adaptor) is field-replaceable. Its Knurled Ring makes an easy grip with a smart look. Lined with synthetic cork for durability.
- Three Ferrules are Stainless Steel, buffed to a tough shine that lasts for years. These match the Tuning Barrel in material and finish.
- Head and Body are African Blackwood, seasoned under a controlled process for lasting integrity. Tung oiled.
- Fine Laser Engraving and Serial Numbers.
- Fingerholes are undercut for clean articulation, smooth transitions, resonance, and a quality sound.
- A-hole is offset for a comfortable reach.
- C-natural is stable. Ds are aligned.
- A Bold Claim: Of any fife ever made, the Enfield Model is the Best-In-Tune, across three octaves.
- Standard Drumcorps Pitch in B-flat.
- Crown Cap is high-impact polymer. No more chipped crowns!
- Endstopper (the bore ‘cork’) is hardfaced for a full sound.
- Six-Hole and Ten-Hole versions available (with swapable head). Engineered in-house for identical intonation.
- Sweetheart Craftsmanship and Customer Service. We stand behind our work.
- Priced competitively.
Especially for French re-enactment groups, the
design for our new French model fife was taken from measurements of a
Napoleonic Era fife in a private collection in Paris, then slightly "tweaked" for
the 20th century ear.
This fife is ideal for a late 18th/early
19th century European impression. Key of D with the intent of playing
in the 2nd and 3rd registers, as were all historic fifes. Blackwood
with brass ferrules.
French Fife in D
Fife & Drum Colonial style Military Fifes
Fife Sound Samples
Our military fifes play easily up to high B in the third register
(even up to the D beyond that) and are authentic for Civil War or Revolutionary
War re-enactments. The Cloos model was the most popular fife
from Civil War times until mid 20th century, and the Colonial model
is inspired by several fifes from that period in our collection.
Fife & Drum Information: Click on Bob
Castillo's website for complete world-wide information
on Fife and Drum Corps, contacts, events, instrument makers, etc.
Padded Fife Cases
2 Piece Padded Case
Heavily padded case for all 2-piece fifes. Flap
has Velcro. Two belt loops in back. 5" x 11-1/2" high.
1 Piece Padded Case
Heavily padded case for all 1-piece fifes. Flap
has Velcro. Belt loop in back. 2-1/2" x 18" high.